The online bill of lading (BOL) capability is offered to registered users of LTL.xpo.com. Log in to LTL.xpo.com to get started.
An accurate bill of lading is a critical part of ensuring invoice accuracy. View sample BOL
How to Create a New Online Bill of Lading (BOL)
Enter BOL Information
- Select your role and payment method. If you wish to schedule a pickup request after you submit the BOL, click Yes, otherwise click No.
- Click Continue.
- Select a location from the Customer Locations list or check the box to use your default. You may override the displayed information by typing over it.
- Enter the contact information in the Consignee Information section.
- Enter the contact and the Bill-To Information section.
- In the Commodities section:
- Enter the number of pieces in the shipment.
- Enter the weight of your shipment.
- Enter the description of the materials for the shipment, or select one from the drop-down menu.
Tip: These are based on your previous commodities. Click Edit your Description to make changes to the list.
- Select how the shipment is packaged (pallet, drum skid, etc.) from the drop-down list.
- Enter the National Motor Freight Classification (NMFC) number.
- Select the Commodity Class. If you are not sure of your class, contact your local service center or Account Executive.
Tip: Be sure to check the “HazMat” box if your shipment qualifies. You must fill out the Emergency Contact Name and Phone information fields.
- Indicate the payment method you intend to use, then check whether that payment method and any special services apply to each shipment.
- Indicate how you prefer to have a PRO number applied to your shipment.
- Enter a PRO number XPO has pre-assigned to you.
- Select Auto-assign a PRO if we should auto-assign one for you.
- Select Do not auto-assign a PRO if you want our driver sales representative to assign a PRO when the shipment is picked up.
Tip: You can add custom reference numbers of your own choosing to the shipment, like PO or Shipper’s Number, and track the shipment using this number.
Request a pickup
- Enter the pickup time and contact information.
- If the shipment is being picked up at your location, simply click Same as requestor.
- Click the Continue button at the bottom of the screen.
Please note: Contact your local service center for pickup requests submitted after 4:00 p.m. (local time).
View the BOL Summary Page
Review the information on the Summary page. If you need to make changes, click the Modify link in each section. After the changes are complete, you’ll be returned to the Summary page.
Submit the BOL
At this point, you may either submit the BOL, or you may submit the BOL and create a template. After the BOL is submitted, you may:
- Print, email or fax the BOL.
- Get a rate quote based on the details of the BOL.
- Sign up for tracking notifications via email for this shipment.
- View contact information for the responsible Service Center.
Additional BOL Tools
- Templates: Create BOL templates to help you save time.
- Submitted BOLs tab: View recent BOL history here. BOLs/labels you've entered are saved for two weeks.
- My Data tab: Save time by creating your own personalized commodity description list. New additions are immediately available for you to use.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I print a BOL?
- After you've submitted the completed BOL, you will use the Print Center to print your BOL and/or any associated shipping labels.
- The BOL will open in a new window with a button called "View/Print BOL."
- The Adobe Acrobat Reader is required. Click on the printer icon to print the BOL.
Help — my PDFs aren't printing!
- Be sure you have the most current version of the Adobe Acrobat Reader (free, download here).
- If you're trying to print and nothing seems to happen, you may have an issue with your pop-up blocker. Many companies and internet browsers (like Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Google Chrome) install software to block pop-up advertisements. Since our forms open in a new window for convenient printing, this software may block the PDF printing window. Contact your IT department; pop-up blockers can easily be adjusted to permit pop-ups from trusted sources like XPO.com.
- If you're an AOL user, be sure you have the most current version of the AOL software. Click here for more AOL info.
- Try printing on another computer at your location — this is a great way to determine where the issue may be.
- If you've tried all of these suggestions, please contact our Help Desk or call us at 800-755-2728.
Can I make changes online to a BOL that has already been submitted?
Yes. Click Bill of Lading on the Ship It menu. Then click the Submitted BOLs tab. Select the BOL you wish to modify, then go to the BOL section and select Update BOL.
How long does XPO retain the archived BOLs?
BOLs are archived for two weeks after submission.
How can I download a CSV flat file of recently submitted BOLs?
You can download a CSV file by using this tool.